(NYC) Prominent book publisher is looking for a dynamic, creative editor to acquire new titles and manage new editions for its’ fashion and interior design lists in order to meet annual revenue and title targets. This publisher seeks someone with strong knowledge of higher education course markets, trends in digital learning, and competitors in this rapidly changing environment.
· Develop a strategic plan and acquire textbook and digital products for their fashion and interior books design program to pre-agreed annual revenue targets
· Develop a long-term publishing strategy, highlighting digital, for best-selling titles
· Initiate and schedule revisions for new editions
· Solicit and assess proposals and sample chapters for potential new signings
· Support Editorial Assistant in managing peer review process
· Negotiate contracts with authors
· Prepare and present projects for approval, prepare P&Ls by estimating sales and budget
· Investigate digital products, either standalone or related to existing print product lines
· Identify new opportunities to develop value-added supplements and ancillaries primarily in digital formats, and advise author, production and development editors on the development of supplements and ancillaries
· Undertake ongoing market research on industry trends affecting curriculum and consumer behavior changes to inform the direction of the publishing program
· Prepare acquisitions documents for launch meetings to internal and external development and production teams
· Present new titles to sales, marketing and editorial teams
· Manage timetabling of books under contract and liaise with the Development and Production Department to ensure that books are published to budget and schedule
· Ensure metadata and content for new titles and new editions is accurate and up-to-date
· Provide information and support to Marketing and Sales Departments for the effective promotion of the list, and monitor sales performance to inform publishing strategy
· Guide authors on proposal and manuscript development and establish schedules with the authors, monitor those schedules and take the necessary steps to keep the author/projects on established schedules and budgets
· Resolve any problems affecting the writing/revising process and serve as key member of the project team to ensure that each assigned project stays within the budget and schedule
· Travel to campuses and attend academic conferences in the field/discipline to identify trends in education and prospect for new business.
· Input into art direction and cover designs for books on list.
· Bachelor’s degree in related field and 5+ years of experience
· In-depth knowledge of fashion and interior design education, curriculum, competition and subject matter highly preferred
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel; proprietary information software such as Biblio, and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
· Knowledge of copyright and terms of fair use, as well as basic publishing agreement terms
· Acumen in manipulating data and preparing spreadsheets to analyze sales as well as ability to balance long-term goals with short-term deadlines
· Understanding of Profit & Loss statement and boilerplate contract
· Extensive experience with digital learning materials is a plus.
Salary: Competitive Job#: SG-4638