(NY) Seasoned reporter turned editor, reports directly to Deputy Director of Content Development, with focus on editorial strategy collaboration and content editing. Work with Content Development Team Leaders, as well as reporters, to top-edit, improve content and publish regular output of well-reported, high-quality, consumer-focused digital articles. Must be able to juggle and organize day-to-day content across large teams.
· Partner, under the direction of the Deputy Director, Content and Director of Content Development, to set overall editorial strategy.
· Collaborate with five Content Development Team Leaders to develop daily digital content for website and related properties, including top-editing stories.
· Coordinate efforts between content development and digital editorial teams as needed to ensure these two critical groups are working seamlessly to produce high quality, strategic digital content.
· Top-edit cross-platform enterprise stories that will appear in both the magazine and online, ensuring highest journalistic standards in all mediums. Strategize with Content Managing Editor to steer content planning, particularly around digital platforms.
· Monitor and help to ensure weekly digital output goals are met by content development departments to further revenue goals, without sacrificing quality.
· Collaborate with digital editorial and analytics teams to ensure content meets traffic, engagement, and other critical KPI goals.
· Work closely with partners in Engagement, Policy, Testing, Survey, Video, Business Development and other key stakeholders as needed to support content creation.
· Support Deputy Director of Content in managing staff, as needed.
· May manage direct reports who edit or support story creation.
Must have college degree, plus minimum 8-10 years’ experience editing at a major newspaper or magazine. Experience with digital required, multi-platform experience that includes print and video highly preferred. Must have demonstrated success in a fast-paced multi-platform content environment; be both fast and have with high editorial standards.
Strong interpersonal and organizational skills a must. Candidate should also be able to package content for both print and digital platforms. Experience partnering with UI/UX, data visualization, digital product management, business development / strategic content partnerships, is beneficial. Will also work closely with Cross-Platform Managing Editor to help manage aggressive deadlines across both print and digital products so must have strong understanding of journalistic strategy and principles in both disciplines.
Success Criteria: Builds trust, instills trust and integrity, takes ownership when things go wrong and does not pass blame Focuses self and others on action and results Promotes collaboration and accountability by seeking leveraging connections and interdependencies and breaking down silos Actively addresses issues and challenges by encouraging candid discussion, building common understanding and gaining agreement Removes barriers, but recognizes when to halt an initiative Communicates clearly and confidently on a consistent basis Sets up staff and teams for success, establishes the right priorities and actionable goals, focuses on mission critical activities.