(Long Island, NY) Publisher is looking for a Commissioning Editor to join a new in-house ebook publishing team. The role works cross functionally with internal and external stakeholders throughout the ebook acquisition and development process. If you are a talented editor who can attract and retain established and up and coming scientific authors for new ebook opportunities, then this is the position for you.
· Work with the Publisher’s eBooks to determine the strategic, publishing, and editorial direction of the book’s portfolio
· Identify emerging and established thought leaders in physics and related areas of physical science
· Acquire new content and sign new updates and other content as required
· Research & initiate new opportunities for business development by consulting with the publisher’s qualified Editors-in-Chief & journal authors, ensuring the program reflects the prestige of the company’s journals program
· Prepare contracts and negotiate with authors on approved projects
· Attend topical conferences and visit research institutions to conduct author outreach, engage with the community, and to develop and promote the portfolio
· Track key performance indicators and ensure title success by devising, implementing and executing strategy to meet set targets
· Partner with Marketing to develop a strategy which reflects both scientific, marketing, and sales goals for each title
· Collaborate with internal business units to maintain a vibrant online presence
· Ensure marketing messages are updated on a regular basis and adapt to meet the changing needs of the community
· This Commissioning Editor will be responsible for strategically acquiring first edition ebook titles as well as managing their context though appropriate digital channels.
· Candidates must have the right to live and work in the United States
· A Ph.D. in a related area of physical sciences is desirable along with in-depth knowledge of the market and industry
· Experience (3+ years) working in editorial acquisitions/marketing for scientific books or review journals is also highly preferable
· Ability to assess customer needs and market trends through consistent interaction with relevant communities
· Highly developed interpersonal and diplomatic skills; ability to exercise sound judgment in decision-making
· Highly computer literate knowledge of/experience with internet-based scientific communication
· Strong customer relationship management and partnership skills as well as strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple priorities
· Excellent teamwork, time management, and organizational skills as well as the ability to take responsibility, assess complex situations, and work on own initiative
· Travel (including international) is a requirement.
Salary: Competitive Job#: SG-4664